Another Linux at Work story

Digital Wokan plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 18:03:11 -0700

My boss came in to ask me for some info from our site and I happened to have a
SQL interface up in my window.  He'd never seen Window-shade mode before (and
we both tend to work with a lot of windows "open"), much less Linux on a
desktop, so when he asked if I could set up his computer to do that, I told
him to let me convert more of my work to be done on my Linux system before I
dove into teaching him a new OS.  He said he really didn't want to learn
anything new.  He works with a lot of spreadsheets, so I explained the
biggest difference would be that OpenOffice tends to use semi-colons where
Excel uses commas in formulas.  Turns out he doesn't even use functions for
most of what he does.  He just sends a bunch of figures out to the head
office and lets them do all the crunching.
I figure with a few more lockups in Excel, or IE freezes, or another large
batch of infected email warnings comes in (thankfully the hosts keep the
scanner up-to-date), and we've got a ready and eager convert on our hands.
(Now if I could just find myself an MS SQL Enterprise Manager that runs on
Linux.  Maybe with wine...)