PostgreSQL versus MySQL

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 18:59:21 -0500 (CDT)

Most MySQL issues I think have been fixed as of late with InnoDB, the
things that used to hold it up (and still might)

1. Lack of refriential integrity (FK's)
2. No Transaction Support
3. Table Level Locking
4. No Triggers/Stored Procedures
5. Poor SQL92 Support (no db is SQL92 compliant, but some better than
others)
6. No Subselects
7. No Unions
8. No concept of OID's or unique rows

and the list goes on.

Please note that if MySQL was to be used for things like dynamic websites
that have a much higher read to write ratio, where table level locking is
a plus not a minus.  And where integrity is not nearly as important (not
business transactional systems like G/L's and the likes) MySQL is/was a
good choice.

However the minute you step into business applications that heavy
transaction updates and reporting, MySQL will/would nearly cripple you.
Postgres is MUCH better suited to such tasks.

However its far from perfect.

The Free (as in libre) database to watch and use for transactional
business applications is the GPL'd SAP-DB.  If you havent investigated it
you might want to.

-Derek