Help getting experience

Bill Warner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
20 Jun 2002 14:06:37 -0700

Any sugestins for a specific book?

I would like to do this as well to help inprove my programming.

Bill W

On Thu, 2002-06-20 at 12:48, Alpha Zenon Sanchez wrote:
> Here's what I'm doing, and perhaps you can do this
> too.
>
> Pick a language...like say...Java.  Get a good
> algorithm book and develop some simple programs that
> show these algorithms (ie sorting, searching,
> recursion etc...). Develop small applets to show on a
> job interview.
>
> Along with these applets, write up a diagram and
> pseudocode to explain what the algoritm does. In case
> of Java, draw some simple UML diagrams to show the
> relationships between your classes.
>

> Understanding some basic algrithm concepts helps in a
> lot of ways.
>
> 1. Algoritms exist because some programmer from the
> past has solved some particular problem - you don't
> have to re-invent the wheel.
>
> 2. Understanding algoritm gives you a deeper
> understanding how programming really works.
> Control-flow statemetns, functions and proceedures are
> related
> somehow.  Algorithms are a great example of how these
> programming pieces fit together as a whole.
>
> This suggestion probably won't land you a job right
> away, but you have to love programming.  When you go
> to an interview, they will most likely sit you down on
> a computer and program something.  Knowing some basic
> algorithms can help.
>
> You can use this as 'experience.'
>
> =====
> Thanks,
> Alpha Zenon Sanchez

Bill Warner
Unix/Linux Admin.
Direct Alliance Corporation

Company required stuff:

Contents are Direct Alliance Corporation Confidential

This message is for the designated recipient(s) only and contains
Direct Alliance Corporation privileged and confidential information.
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete the original. Any other use of this email is prohibited.