Help getting experience

Wed, 19 Jun 2002 21:03:16 -0700 (MST)

Am 19. Jun, 2002 schwätzte MCR so:

> I have a question to ask of the group.  Maybe a favor,
> so to speak.  I am starting my junior year at ASU in
> Computer Science.  Right now I work in a Hotel, and I
> really don't like my job.  I keep trying to apply for
> jobs in the computer field, however I have never had a
> job of this type before, which is making it difficult
> for me.

You're at one of the best places to get experience. Check student jobs. You
can almost definitely get a job working graveyards in the computing commons,
e.g. they can't seem to ever get enough warm bodies. After working there a
sememster you'll be in the system and have a much better chance at jobs in
other depts. You've got two years left, so plenty of time to get campus jobs
that'll give you decent experience.

Go to the UNUG meeting tomorrow morning.

Topic: How to install and configure OpenBSD for use as a firewall.
Presenter: Mark Peoples
Where: CPCOM 120 (Computing Commons Auditorium)
When: 9:00 - 11:00AM on Thursday June, 20th

> My question is would anyone be willing or able to help
> me get experience, so I can get a job in the Computer
> field.  I am highly interested in Networking, but any
> work involving computers would be good.  I am working
> toward a career as a software engineer, so even
> programming would work. If someone would be willing,
> the idea I have is if someone would be willing to take
> me on as an apprentice for a couple of months
> to teach me the "ropes".  I would be willing to work
> part-time, and for free, in exchange for the knowledge
> and a recommendation /reference if it is deserved.

If you're willing to work for 'free' work on Free Software.

In what area are you wanting to work? Pick a project that looks interesting,
get on the mailing list, go through the code, start asking questions and
finally send in code.

Also look at groups like USENIX and IEEE. They have student programs.

Learn a topic well and give presentations at local groups, e.g. the LUGs.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  Freedom isn't everything, but without freedom you have nothing. - der.hans