possible LKM rootkit infection

technomage plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 11:54:26 -0700

On Wednesday 19 June 2002 06:40 am, you wrote:
> What are the processes that are invisible?  Are any of them using a
> high/odd port number?  IE ssh on port 37337?  Any other info you can
> provide about this would also be helpful.  IE how is your system connected
> to the net?
ok, heres what I know:
ssh doesn't appear to be running any odd port numbers (just the standard
issue low port), chkrootkit-.35 would not specifiy which processes were
invisible (will have to contact the author on that). as for the system, it is
connected to the cablemode and is running an iptables firewall script (a big
one) with portsentry and prelude intrusion detection in place and operating.
the box in question is my IPMASQ/NAT/FIREWALL/gateway for the rest of the
lan. all other machines in the lan check out ok (no infection or intrusion).

I've tried manually running ps and readdir and both yielded no results I can
use. also, on this mornings run of chkrootkit, those 4 invisible processsses
are no longer there (inactive, deactivated, or what I don't know).

I have a copy of the log it made if you wish to paruse.

the one available at www.chkrootkit.org

> scott

Technomage

numbered!