Question: What's The difference between a 'Modular Kernel and a Monolithic Kernel?'

Roderick Ford plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 08:42:50 -0700

Modular is when your kernel is able to load modules for a particular device.
That is, make it available for the kernel to load as necessary at run-time,
which requires that the kernel be compiled with kernel-module-loading ability.

Monolithic is when there are no modules to load at run-time.  All modules for
devices are compiled into the kernel and loaded at boot.  Even if a device is
never or rarely used the "bloated" kernel carries around the knowledge of how to
communicate with that type of device.

Typically, the RedHat 7.2 kernel comes monolithic.  The instructions probably
discuss monolithic kernels in the sense that YOU manually load the module, and
modular kernels in the sense that the kernel needs to be recompiled to make the
kernel aware that the module is available at run-time.  You can select these
things when you re-compile the kernel.

Sorry, that this probably wasn't a very concise explanation, and certainly not
thorough.

Regardless, RedHat comes compiled with kudzu, which is the plug and play
ability.  When you boot up with the new device, kudzu will ask you if you want
to configure the new device.  Then you are good to go.

If anyone wants to clarify or correct any of the above, feel free.

--Roderick Ford