Does Linux do games well?

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 21:32:10 -0700

--------------070703010906020708070004

UT is Unreal Tournament and it runs great!  Map, skin, and mod downloads
are alot quicker on Linux than on W*.

George Toft wrote:

>For those of us whose Linux gaming experience is limited to doom and
>decent, could you spell out the games names, ie, UT and TO?
>
>George
>

>--
>If you feel you have received a virus from me, please read
>    http://www.georgetoft.com/virus.html
>because it wasn't me!
>--
>

>slr wrote:
>

>>linuxgames.com is a great link for linux games
>>
>>if you have the 3D hardware and the most recent vid. drv. to play the newer
>>games, then i would say YES!!! linux is great for playing games, Wolfenstein
>>plays better for me in linux than is does in Windoze, as does Soldier of
>>Fortune. UT runs great as well as TO, and Q2 & Q3 and Q3 Team Arena play
>>great in Linux. Actually i enjoy playing games in Linux better than Windoze,
>>but there just isnt enough titles, and now with Loki gone the future is
>>somewhat dim.
>>
>>slr
>>
>>On Tuesday 18 June 2002 02:24 pm, Mark Berkwitt wrote:
>>

>>>How good is linux for games?
>>>
>>>Linux has a rep for running more efficiently on older hardware than W*.
>>>Is there a website that lists games available to linux and minimal hardware
>>>needed for them?

--------------070703010906020708070004

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
UT is Unreal Tournament and it runs great! &nbsp;Map, skin, and mod downloads
are alot quicker on Linux than on W*.<br>
George Toft wrote:<br>
  <pre wrap="">For those of us whose Linux gaming experience is limited to doom and
decent, could you spell out the games names, ie, UT and TO?

George

--
If you feel you have received a virus from me, please read
    <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.georgetoft.com/virus.html">http://www.georgetoft.com/virus.html</a>
because it wasn't me!
--

slr wrote:
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">linuxgames.com is a great link for linux games

if you have the 3D hardware and the most recent vid. drv. to play the newer
games, then i would say YES!!! linux is great for playing games, Wolfenstein
plays better for me in linux than is does in Windoze, as does Soldier of
Fortune. UT runs great as well as TO, and Q2 &amp; Q3 and Q3 Team Arena play
great in Linux. Actually i enjoy playing games in Linux better than Windoze,
but there just isnt enough titles, and now with Loki gone the future is
somewhat dim.

slr

      <pre wrap="">How good is linux for games?

See <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://PLUG.phoenix.az.us/navigator-mail.shtml">http://PLUG.phoenix.az.us/navigator-mail.shtml</a> if your mail doesn't post to the list quickly and you use Netscape to write mail.