Emacs on RH 7.3

David A. Sinck plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 07:23:19 -0700

\_ SMTP quoth Logan Kennelly on 6/17/2002 13:34 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_
\_ On Sunday 16 June 2002 09:10 am, Gordon Chamberlin wrote:
\_ > Is anyone else annoyed by the new GUI menu bar that emacs now places
\_ > right under the text menu bar on a stock installation of Redhat 7.3?
\_
\_ Not annoyed, but I do not find it pleasing.
\_
\_ > I have looked for a way to remove it, but have been unsuccessful so
\_ > far.  If anyone could tell me the magic incantation configuration
\_ > setting that needs to be invoked, I would be very grateful.  I really
\_ > want that space back to display information.
\_
\_ I just tried M-x tool-bar-mode and that seems to work.  If you don't like
\_ the scroll bar, then you could use M-x scroll-bar-mode to recover some more
\_ space.

YMMV, but stuff the following in your .emacs if you want permanent
relief:

(menu-bar-mode -1)
(tool-bar-mode -1) ; 95% sure

I'm not running emacs 21 locally so I don't have that config ready to
dispense summary justice to tool-bar-mode, but it's something like that.

\_ Any suggestions on how to change the type of scroll-bar used so that it
\_ doesn't use the GTK tool set (i.e. make it look like the old one)?

read the info pages on gtk/scrollbars and see.

David