PLUG on Slashdot

C. Sullivan plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 03:20:58 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Logan Kennelly wrote:

> Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the vendor agree to the OEM license?
> If I go buy a laptop with Windows XP today, I won't see a license agreement
> when I turn the system on.

For you to use Microsoft Windows, you must agree to Microsoft's
EULA.  EULA is a contract.  "By breaking this seal, you agree to be bound
by.." means just what it appears.

Remember, you are not buying the software, you are licensing it.  Legally,
licenses are contracts.  Therefore, the County of Maricopa is entering
into contract with Microsoft.

Also, remember the whole reason this was brought up in the first
place: the County is considering purchasing an Enterprise (i.e. site
license) License with Microsoft.  That is very much within the guise of
what we're talking about here.

-Fedl