Questions

Matt Alexander plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 18:53:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Dr.G wrote:

> I assume by runlevel3 you mean my level of access? <----Noob.

When your system boots up it consults /etc/inittab to find the default
runlevel.  Your inittab most likely has this line:

id:5:initdefault:

This tells your system to boot into runlevel 5.  /etc/rc.d/rc5.d contains
aliases to the scripts that will be executed at this runlevel.  You'll
also see a line like this:

x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

This line tells your box to run the X Window System at runlevel 5.  You'll
also see other lines for tty's, etc.  So, by changing to runlevel 3,
you're exiting out of the GUI environment.  If you wanted to run your box
without the GUI, you could change the initdefault to 3 and always boot to
a console (I do this for all of my servers).  Level 6 means reboot, so if
you type init 6 (as root), you'll reboot your box.  Init 0 is to shutdown.
Init 1 is single-user mode.  The other runlevels can be defined for
whatever purpose you'd like.

Consult the inittab manpage for more detail.
~M