Job control commands

Thu, 13 Jun 2002 13:53:31 -0700 (MST)

Am 13. Jun, 2002 schwätzte William Lindley so:

> Thinking back to the days of RSTS-E (DEC PDP-11, the first timeshare
> computer I used) is there a Unix-y way to:
>
>   * Completely suspend a running task - not just a low priority
>     but totally stop it until it's later restarted

As Thomas already said, use control-z to suspend the active program. This is
a bourne shell feature and works for bourne shell derivatives such as bash
and ksh.

>   * Attach a task from another terminal to the one I'm at now
>     (I.e., I start emacs on virtual terminal 3 and I want to move it
>     to virtual terminal 2)

Look at screen for character based apps.

emacs has a way to attach to another emacs session similar to vnc. I think
you have to actually close the local window before you can open it remotely,
though.

Time for the emacs people to pipe up :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  A t-shirt a day keeps the noose (tie) away. - der.hans