a df option question

Jim plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 11:35:44 -0700

- From a man df | more on my M8.0 system:

DF(1)                          FSF                          DF(1)

NAME
       df - report filesystem disk space usage

SYNOPSIS
       df [OPTION]... [FILE]...

DESCRIPTION
       This manual page documents the GNU version of df.  df dis­
       plays the amount of disk space available on the filesystem
       containing  each  file  name argument.  If no file name is
       given,  the  space  available  on  all  currently  mounted
       filesystems is shown.  Disk space is shown in 1K blocks by
       default, unless the environment  variable  POSIXLY_CORRECT
       is set, in which case 512-byte blocks are used.

       If  an argument is the absolute file name of a disk device
       node containing a mounted filesystem, df shows  the  space
       available on that filesystem rather than on the filesystem
       containing the device  node  (which  is  always  the  root
       filesystem).   This  version  of  df cannot show the space
       available on unmounted filesystems, because on most  kinds
       of  systems  doing  so  requires very nonportable intimate
       knowledge of filesystem structures.

OPTIONS
       Show information about the filesystem on which  each  FILE
       resides, or all filesystems by default.

       -a, --all
              include filesystems having 0 blocks

       --block-size=SIZE use SIZE-byte blocks

       -h, --human-readable
              print sizes in human readable format (e.g., 1K 234M
              2G)

       -H, --si
              likewise, but use powers of 1000 not 1024

       -i, --inodes
              list inode information instead of block usage

       -k, --kilobytes
              like --block-size=1024

       -l, --local
              limit listing to local filesystems

       -m, --megabytes
              like --block-size=1048576

       --no-sync
              do  not  invoke  sync  before  getting  usage  info

GNU fileutils 4.0p          March 2001                          1

DF(1)                          FSF                          DF(1)

              (default)

       -P, --portability
              use the POSIX output format

       --sync invoke sync before getting usage info

       -t, --type=TYPE
              limit listing to filesystems of type TYPE

       -T, --print-type
              print filesystem type

       -x, --exclude-type=TYPE
              limit listing to filesystems not of type TYPE

       -v     (ignored)

       --help display this help and exit

       --version
              output version information and exit

AUTHOR
       Written  by  Torbjorn  Granlund,  David  MacKenzie,  Larry
       McVoy, and Paul Eggert.

REPORTING BUGS
       Report bugs to <bug-fileutils@gnu.org>.

COPYRIGHT
       Copyright © 1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
       This is free software; see the source for  copying  condi­
       tions.  There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY
       or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

SEE ALSO
       The full documentation for df is maintained as  a  Texinfo
       manual.    If  the  info  and  df  programs  are  properly
       installed at your site, the command

              info df

       should give you access to the complete manual.

GNU fileutils 4.0p          March 2001                          2

On Thursday 13 June 2002 10:59, you wrote:
> I have a couple of students using Mandrake on laptops
> who reported to me that df -B MB is a valid option for
> df on their system. They even supply output showing
> what it does.
>
> I've never heard of such an option in any version of
> Unix I've ever used. Mandrake is based on Red Hat,
> which uses the GNU tools for all the most standard
> utilities, right?
>
> Does anyone know anything about this? I'd love to see a
> df(1) man page off a Mandrake system.

- --
Jim

Freedom is worth protecting