Job control commands

William Lindley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 10:44:33 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Robert Bushman wrote:
> partial answer to number 1.
>
> Stop Process #488
> kill -SIGSTOP 488

Aha, "man 7 signal" gave me the clue to the remainder of the problem --
since I'm not necessarily the process owner (I might be 'root' on some
totally other terminal) the following works:

   # kill -SIGSTOP 488
stops the process.  If attached to a user on a terminal, will see a
"stopped" message.

   # kill -SIGCONT 488
restarts the process.  Strangely, if user types "jobs" the list will show
the process as being stopped even though it is actually running.

Thanks!

\\/
p.s. why do the manpages say,  "See signal(7)"  but you have to type
"man 7 signal" instead of "man signal(7)" like you'd expect?  Pet peeve.