Suggestions?

Mike plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 11:03:01 -0500

I have just completed a project where I had to parse
out an email message and dump it into a MySQL db. I find it hard to go wrong
with Perl -> MySQL

v/r
Mike

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 08:37:35AM -0700, James Shaker wrote:

 Hello All,

 I would like to use "you all" as a sounding board for a project I am
 working on, if that is ok?

 We have developed a machine that will be deployed in a few thousand
 locations around the US, Puerto Rico, and Bahamas.  This product will be
 connected to a phone line and will call a linux server that we set up as
 a PPP dial in server.  Once connected, the product will send a small
 email detailing production amounts and status information.  The machine
 will also receive an email, if any, for parameter changes, etc.  This
 all works well.

 Once the server receives the email I want to parse that information and
 put it into MySql.  The status of these machines can be viewed via the
 web using apache and PHP4.

 What I would like some advice on, what is the better method of parsing
 the email and putting it into MySql?

 Its not that I don't have many options... I have too many.

 Procmail -> awk/sed -> PHP4 script -> MySql

 Perl -> MySql

 And many other combination of tools.  I am leaning towards a Perl ->
 MySql solution for the simplicity; however, I want to know if anyone
 else has something that might be better. Perhaps Python?

 Thank "you all" for your time,

 James
 james@vartek-corp.com