How to access Windows files from Linux

Logan Kennelly plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 11:20:40 -0700

On Wednesday 12 June 2002 10:46 am, Matt wrote:
> I just recently installed Linux and XP on the same HD - partitioned half
> and half on my 80 gig. In the past with older versions of Windows I've
> seen an icon appear for the C: drive on my (KDE) desktop, but not this
> time. How do I view the Windows files? I'm using SuSE Linux 8.0.

What does your /etc/fstab file look like?  Is the drive formatted with NTFS
or FAT32?  It will work with either case, but the former is read-only.

The line you are looking for in fstab will appear similar to:
/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,codepage=850 0 0

or

/dev/hda1  /mnt/windows  ntfs  uid=,gid=,ro  0 0

Depending on which file system you have.

Also of note is that the directory /mnt/windows must exist.

--
						Logan Kennelly
      ,,,