Firewire card for Linux

Shawn Rutledge plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 15:05:11 -0700

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 02:47:05PM -0700, Sundar wrote:
> I have to get a Firewire card for my Videocam. Do you suggest any Linux
> compatible cards?

Just get an OHCI compatible one.  Most of them are, and should certainly
say so on the box or web site.

I got a fairly nice one I think, for cheap (3 external ports and one
internal, maybe it was made by Lucent if memory serves), and the kernel
detects it just fine, but that's as far as I got so far:

ohci1394: $Revision: 1.80 $ Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>
PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:0f.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:02.2
ohci1394_0: OHCI-1394 1.0 (PCI): IRQ=[11]  MMIO=[cffff000-cffff800]  Max
Packet=[2048]
video1394: Installed video1394 module
raw1394: /dev/raw1394 device initialized
ieee1394: sbp2: Driver forced to serialize I/O (serialize_io = 1)
scsi2 : IEEE-1394 SBP-2 protocol driver

Any suggestions for good video editing software which can generate VCDs
would be appreciated; I want to transfer video from my digital 8mm to
some sort of disc format (VCD or maybe DVD some day).

And does anybody know if VCD is a universal format, e.g. will the same
discs play on a generic PAL DVD player, or do you have to purposely
encode at higher res and lower framerate?  It would be convenient for
sending home movies to my wife's family.

--
  _______                   Shawn T. Rutledge / KB7PWD  ecloud@bigfoot.com
 (_  | |_)                       http://ecloud.org  kb7pwd@kb7pwd.ampr.org