SonicWall and linux client

Matt Alexander plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 9 Jun 2002 21:14:12 -0700 (PDT)

Just tell your admin that you're running Linux so you don't have to worry
about all the Windows viruses out there (he/she should be scanning
or blocking email attachments on the mail server anyway).  Give your box a
static IP, have your admin tell the SonicWall to let you through, and
you're set.

Viruses on Linux are possible, but their propogation is slowed by a number
of factors, such as:
1) Less Linux workstations directly connected to the Internet, relative to
Windows boxes.  Expect this to change in the future as more users and
businesses start using Linux.
2) Linux users are usually more technically savvy and less likely to run
strange attachments.  Expect this to change in the future as well.
3) Damage is limited to only the files that the user can change/delete.
~M