WYSIWYG Editor

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 9 Jun 2002 21:10:18 -0700

Quoting "Bryce C." <plug@bryceco.net>:

> Thank you all.  I usually only do a few pages a month but this summer
> I'm completely overhalling my website.  I've trried Quanta before (I use
> it for my PHP/HTML) but now I need something that I don't have to for it
> to render.  Something in the way of, GASP, M$ Frontpage.  I will not use
> it though because it's a piece of junk but that's the sort of WYSIWYG
> I'm talking about.
>
> Thank You,
> Bryce C.
> Network Administrator
> CoBryce Communications
> Bryce @ BryceCo . Net

Sounds like a summer project - learning to code by hand.;-)

A big problem with many WYSIWYG editors is that the resulting code is nearly
impossible to "reverse engineer" and you are stuck using the product that
created the site or you have to start from scratch each time.

Try redesigning the site to be more hand-coding friendly, use templates where
you can and maybe a macro to fill in the parts that change. Run the code
though HTML Tidy  http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/ frequently to catch
the big mistakes.

Learn to code by hand, you won't regret it.

Dennis Kibbe

Everyone should have http://www.freedom2surf.net/