Problems booting into level 5 on MD8.2

John Steele plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 09 Jun 2002 10:43:40 -0700

I have found a serious problem (with Mandrake?). I use LILO to dual boot into a win98 and MD8.2 OSs. Twice now I've had work going for a couple of days on the Win98 OS and have done a normal power shutdown WITH a data cd in my bootable CD drive (forgot). When I try to power on and launch Linux without taking this CD out first, I'm getting an error in booting where some of my /var/temp files are lost.

My current status after the second time this has happened (the first time I just reloaded the MD8.2 OS and apps, but saved my /home directory data), I can boot successfully into level 3 (my default is level 5/KDE for myself as user). But when I try to "startx" I get an error/failure message that the "default Font" is not found. I checked the KFree86.0.log, as the screen message suggested and found that the file /var/tmp/server-0.xkm "could not be found. ??

I did a hard shutdown and re-launched MD8.2, and it went thru a file system auto-check, found the obvious (from a hard shutdown)problems in the MDL boot sector (fixed them) and no other errors. It still defaulted to level 3 start-up and I could still not "start". I did a normal shutdown using linuxconf from the level 3 commandline and I saw that the "X-Font sever" FAILED.

Is there anyway I can reload KDE (if that is what is required) without reloading all of the OS and all of the applications??? I would like to auto boot to level 5.

John Steele