NFS and tar

steve plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
08 Jun 2002 00:11:56 -0700

I am having some problems with my NFS setup that really got me
scratching my head.  I am guessing that it must be something with tar
(across and NFS mount?) but I am not sure.

First off, here are the basics:

Linux Mandrake 8.2 on two systems (zippo and tomahawk)

NFS server on zippo

NFS mount on tomahawk
  fstab: zippo:/share/tomahawk_backup /u001/backup2zippo nfs bg,user 0 0

tomahawk:  /u001/backup2zippo permissions/owner 777 root:root
zippo:   /share/tomahawk_backup  permissions/owner 777 root:root
   (I know this is a big security hole that I plan to fix after I figure
out what is going on)

I can create a file on tomahawk and zippo as a user and as root

I can successfully create a tar (on zippo)
  tar zcvf test.tgz /testdir/*
  tar is created however I get the following error:

I attempted to create a tar (on tomahawk)

[user@tomahawk backup2zippo]# tar zcvf test.tgz /etc/*
tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
etc/adjtime
etc/aliases
etc/aliases.db
tar (child): test.tgz: Cannot open: Operation not permitted
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
etc/alternatives/
etc/alternatives/lib_cpp
etc/alternatives/vi
etc/alternatives/vim
etc/alternatives/cpp
etc/alternatives/ssh-askpass
etc/alternatives/xinetd
etc/alternatives/xvt
Broken pipe

Thanks for any insight someone can offer.

Steve Phariss