InstallFest -- Status

William Lindley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 16:06:38 -0700 (MST)

Here's everything I have to date.  Please reply off-list with additions or
corrections.

-------------------------------

What: InstallFest
When: 22 June 2002, 10am-4pm
Where: Turquoise Room, Scottsdale Community College, Hwy. 101 & Pima Rd.

Press release at: http://www.plugpresents.com/installfest

-------------------------------

STATUS as of 2002-06-05 16:00 MST

SCC Contact: G.D.Thurman <thurmunit@user1.inficad.com>
Publicity:  Jim Wejroch <farli@unitywave.com>
  Press Release:  Dennis Kibbe <dennisk@sahuaro.f2s.com>
  Flyer: Susan Henson <shenson950a@earthlink.net>

Newbie classes (hope to have schedule before Fest):  ______
Vendors: Alan Dayley <alandd@mindspring.com>

Installations:  (Prefer to have several names for each)
  RedHat:	______
  		______
  		Alan <alandd@mindspring.com>
  		Robert A.Klahn <robert_a_klahn@fastmail.fm>
  Mandrake:	______
  		______
	  	W.Lindley <wlindley@wlindley.com>
  Debian:	______
  		______
  		Robert A.Klahn <robert_a_klahn@fastmail.fm>
  Slackware:	______
  		Bruce Pettycrew <bkpettycrew@cox.net>
  BSD:		______
  		J.Francois<frenchie@magusnet.com>
  General Assistance:
  		_____
	  	_____
	  	Matt Alexander <m@netpro.to>
	  	"kb" <llyrflash@west.cox.net>

Presentations:  per Thurman, we will have a room with video projector.
  - Intro to Linux/GNU/PLUG/Free/Open Software:
	1. Linux/Open Source:  Jim Wejroch <farli@unitywave.com>
  	2. ______   <-- YOUR NAME HERE!
  	3. KDE: ______ or Jim Wejroch <farli@unitywave.com>
  	4. ______
  	5. Linux/Open Source: der.hans <PLUGd@LuftHans.com>
	6. ______
    (Should have several folks to speak briefly).
  - Videotape, Stallman visit October 2001:  Thurman
  - Other presentations:  ________:  ______
    (Your chance to speak!)

Food: per Thurman:
  - SCC to provide food stand.  Outside food, non-alc. drink OK.
  - Food and drink are allowed in the Turquoise Room and Foyer area.

Giveaways:
  - (see also Vendor above)
  - PLUG handouts:  ______
  	______
  - PLUG business cards: Jim <farli@unitywave.com>
  - Tux the Penguin, case badges, to all successful installs.
    Dennis Kibbe <dennisk@sahuaro.f2s.com>
  - SCC is going to give away the following books:
    + Just For Fun (The Story of an Accidental Revolutionary)
    + The Cathedral and Bazaar (Musings on the Linux and Open Source
	by an Accidental Revolutionary)
    + Open Sources (Voices from the Open Source Revolution)
    + Free as in Freedom (Richard Stallman's Crusade for Free Software)
  - Vendors:
    + Terra Soft: 10 packaged copies of Yellow Dog Linux 2.1. (Power PC)
    + TurboLinux: books & "goodies"

CDROMs to give away
  - Mandrake 8.2   ______
  - Debian         ______
  - RedHat 7.3     ______
  - ___________    ______    <- Your favorite distro here!
  - Open Office, Mozilla 1.0.  10 copies, Matt Alexander <m@netpro.to>

Working computers for people to see.
  - Apple G3, der.hans    (closed box)
  - ____________     <- KDE?
  - ____________     <- Gnome?
  - ____________     <-- need at least one with CD burner
  - ____________     <-- IPAQ or other platform?
  + Firewall Distro demos
    - __________
    - __________
    - FreeSCO: <wlindley@wlindley.com> has one ready to go

----- MATERIALS LIST -----

Start of a list.  Let me know which you can bring.  Reply to me (not to
all) with any additions / changes.  Then we'll cc the pluglist.  Ideally
we'd have several folks with a "reserve" of items in their cars' trunks...

GENERAL.
- Markers, paper, tape -- for signs
- Pens, pencils
- Preprinted signs ("Install fest This Way" [left, right, straight])
- Easel, whiteboard, drymarkers
- PLUG banner.  Jim Wejroch <farli@unitywave.com>

HANDOUTS.
- PLUG business cards   Jim Wejroch <farli@unitywave.com>
- Flyers
  (We still need various handouts: Suggestions?)
- Vendor materials
- Supply of blank CDRs, and access to ISOs of several distributions
  on an operable computer with a CD burner.
- Hardware Inventory / Waiver forms -- see http://www.vlug.org/ifht/

PARTS.
- power strips / surge protectors  (several folks pls bring)
- network switch/hub & cables (Hans?)
- extra network switch/hub & cables for Firewall demos
- spare keyboards
	William Lindley <wlindley@wlindley.com>
- spare mice
	William Lindley <wlindley@wlindley.com>
- various converter plugs, screws, etc.
- screwdrivers
- network cards (PCI, ISA)
- extra floppy drives, cdrom drives, video and sound cards
  (for folks with recalcitrant hardware?)
- IDE, floppy cables

FOOD.
- _______