RH7.3 disc fails on floppy boot install

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 05 Jun 2002 10:57:58 -0400

I have a set of RH7.3 CDs that have been successfully used on two computers and at least one other by someone else.  My successes have been with computers that were able to boot off the CD and install from there.

I have another computer that does not have the brains to boot from the CD.  I sucessfully did a floppy boot install with RH7.2 on this same computer.

I made an install boot floppy that starts up fine but when the install gets to the point of reading the CD, it fails.  It attempts to spin up several times for several minutes and eventually fails.

I am assuming this is a bad CD that works OK for booting but not for floppy installs.  That puzzles me, however, because I would think that boot from CD or floppy would use most of the same files on the CD at the point the floppy install fails.  Anyone else have any hints here?  Do I need to go buy some new CDs?

Alan