sound and XMMS

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 17:31:19 -0700

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 04:59:04PM -0700, mazdaracer wrote:
> I too have it dual booted on my laptop and it's ok there. I'm using
> Mandrake 8.1. In fact, I just tried to go over to KDE (works ok) then
> back to Ice and it didn't 'fix itself' like it sometimes does.
>
> I use the OSS Driver 1.2.5 [libOSS.so] pointing to /dev/dsp as the
> alternate device; switching to default and trying to play gives me the 3
> points of why I can't open the sound. I've got a SB Live audio card.
>
> This is interesting:
> [pete@rotor pete]$ ll /dev/dsp
> ls: /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
> [pete@rotor pete]$ ll /dev/d*
> /dev/discs:
> total 0
> lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           30 Dec 31  1969 disc0 ->
> ../ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/
>
> /dev/dri:
> total 0
> crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root     226,   0 Jun  1 19:56 card0
> [pete@rotor pete]$ ll /dev/sound
> total 0
> crw-------    1 pete     audio     14,   4 May 24 19:28 audio
> crw-------    1 pete     audio     14,   3 May 24 19:28 dsp
> crw-------    1 pete     audio     14,  19 May 24 19:28 dsp1
> crw-------    1 pete     audio     14,   5 May 24 19:28 dspW
> crw-------    1 pete     audio     14,   2 May 24 19:28 midi
> crw-------    1 pete     audio     14,  18 May 24 19:28 midi1
> crw-------    1 pete     audio     14,   0 May 24 19:28 mixer
> crw-------    1 pete     audio     14,   1 May 24 19:28 sequencer
> crw-------    1 pete     audio     14,   8 May 24 19:28 sequencer2
> [pete@rotor pete]$
>

> There should be a /dev/dsp entry but clearly none exist. I changed the
> sound to point to /dev/sound/dsp and now it's ok.    This is kind of
> strange!

Looks like you're using the new and advanced DevFS. It's an alternative to
the original flat dev filesystem -- doesn't waste any disk space or inodes
on your drive, and device entries are registered and unregistered as modules
are loaded/unloaded. Check your /etc/devfsd.conf to make sure that
MKOLDCOMPAT is enabled -- normally the devfsd daemon will make symlinks to
the old device names (eg: /dev/sound/dsp -> /dev/dsp). More than helpful
documentation on devfsd and devfs is available via:
	      less /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/devfs/README
	      man devfsd
	      man devfsd.conf

--
Thomas "Mondoshawan" Tate