OT: Laptop Parts

Bryce C. plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
02 Jun 2002 14:59:31 -0700

After being on vacation for a week, I have finally returned home to find
myself reading >700 e-mails. (For those interested, it was divided about
50/50 Junk/PLUG.) Anyway, now that I'm caught up with that, I have time
to play the the laptop I bought on vacation (yes, work is never far) and
I'm now working on scrounging parts for it.  It cost about $90 and the
PCMCIA NIC $20 at a PC consignment shoppe but of course taht also means
it's been used.  This is a Dell Latitude XP 4100CX laptop running a
486DX(Yes, for real), 1.2Gb HD, 12Mb RAM, and a floppy.  First thing is
first, can anyone tell me of a good place for a replacement battery
cheap.  Its has been toasted (memory thing) and it really isn't all that
useful w/o a battery.  I've got a couple bids on eBay but I was hoping
for something a little more immediate.  Second, I'd like a larger HD for
Linux.  Since it doesn't have a CD-ROM drive, I'd like to copy the
distro disks to the HD so I can install packages on the road.  Can
anyone tell me of a good place for cheap, large capacity, 2.5" HDs and
possibly their price & size.

Bryce C.
Network Administrator
CoBryce Communications