I'd like to Evolution instead of Outlook for email and my PalmPilot.

David Uhlman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 1 Jun 2002 14:51:13 -0700

New to plug glad to be here.

It will depend somewhat on whether you are using outlook or outlook express.
There are two strategies that have worked well for me in the past.

If you have a small number of archived messages such as in the 0-10000 range
you can use outlook to forward the complete contents of each mail folder as
an attachment to yourself and then dl the email into evolution. This works
if you have your own mail server and not an isps due to size speed etc. You
can easily set up a dummy server on the evolution machince to handle just
this one set of messges.

Second option is to install mozilla email on the outlook machine and import
from outlook into mozilla. Mozilla stores mail in mbox format that is easily
readable from evolution using the import --> import as single file evolution
feature. Mozilla stores its mail on XP/2k in

\Documents and Settings\("Your User Name")\Application Data\Mozilla\("Your
Profile Directory")\Mail\imported.mail\

you will have to copy over all the files from that imported.mail directory
to a location accessible from evolution.

Good luck.Other mail settings such as the addressbook tend to be a little
quirky but going outlook->mozilla->evolution you can usually get the most
important stuff.

Also beware very large attachments, maybe it is time to do a little mail
housekeeping anyway.

Sincerely,
David Uhlman
CTO 50km Inc.