K12 LTSP - Linux at Work

charlie bullen plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 11:01:05 -0700

Good Morning, this past weekend I took my Suse box that I have been using at
work home and installed the K12LTSP software on it. I tried to get it to dual
boot using lilo on my Suse install with no luck, but no big deal as I created
a boot disk.

eth0 configured to default settings, 192.168.0.254 subnet 255.255.255.0 etc.
eth1 configured to ip for lan at work including default gateway and dns
servers.

I also took home one of the  worst computers available, amd 333, 32megs ram,
no hard drive. Put in a $9.99 nic, created a boot disk, connected to the
K12LTSP server and fired up the box. IT picked up the IP address and booted
off the server without a hitch. I could tell no difference in performance if
I was working on the server itself, or the bad computer.

Problems occured when I got this box to work. I connected to the lan using
eth1 and tried to pull a web page - no results, I started trouble shooting by
pinging  eth0 and got fast response times, then I pinged the gateway on our
lan and got respose times ranging from 2000 to 4500 ms with 10% packet loss.
I then pinged our DNS server and got slightly worse respones times and about
30% packet loss.  Tried pinging outside ip address and got even worse
response times and greater packet loss.

As I had to work, I gave up on k12LTSP for the time being, booted to Suse8.0
on this same box and got immediate web access, great response times and no
packet loss. Any idea what would cause such poor results booting to K12LTSP,
which by the way is a modified redhat 7.3 installation.

I only have today and tomorrow to figure this out as I am going on vacation on
wednesday for 1.5 weeks. I have a great opportunity as one of the
programmers, who wants to try a linux workstation, is working real close to
my workstation this week. He is using an old emachine, of the same model that
I have gotten to work with K12LTSP on my home network.

Any help would be appreciated.

Charlie