Plug (und cox) (fwd)

Jeffrey Pyne plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 16:32:29 -0700

As part of the Excite/@Home to Cox conversion, I had to convert from a
static IP address to DHCP.  When I originally changed the configuration of
my external NIC from static to DHCP (without changing anything else), it
just would not get a DHCP address.  I'd had the same machine with the same
NIC hooked up to the cable modem the whole time I'd been connected to Cox.
Sniffing on the external interface, I could see my DHCP requests going out,
but nothing coming back.  Again, I didn't change NICs-- I just changed my
ne0 configuration from static to DHCP.  After I fought with getting that to
work for a while, I began to wonder if their DHCP server was somehow
configured to only give out IP addresses to Windows or Mac machines.  So I
tried connecting a Windows machine (which had never before been plugged into
the cable modem) directly to my cable modem.  The Windows machine
immediately got a DHCP address.  I plugged the OpenBSD box back in to the
cable modem, and again I got no DHCP address.  The only way I could get that
OpenBSD box to get a DHCP address was to power off the modem for a while.
Weird.  I still don't know why my Window machine was able to get a DHCP
address without having to recycle the cable modem, but not the OpenBSD
machine.   I haven't had any problems since I got it working.

~Jeff