Plug (und cox) (fwd)

John Olson plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 15:23:33 -0700

I'm certain you've got it exactly right.  Some DHCP servers check the
MAC of the requesting machine.  Some routers (for sure Linksys) have a
"MAC Alias" configuration field so you can enter your NIC's MAC so DHCP
servers that check this think it's the original PC that is plugged in.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us] On Behalf Of
Jeffrey Pyne
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2002 2:19 PM
To: 'plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us'
Cc: 'simplyservice@mobile.rogers.com'
Subject: RE: Plug (und cox) (fwd)

I have an OpenBSD firewall with its external interface configured for
DHCP. I also just set my boss up with a RedHat Linux box which gets its
external IP address from Cox' DHCP.  So rest assured, you aren't chasing
wild geese
here-- it is possible to connect a non-Windows system to Cox' network.

I did have a problem like yours when Cox switched from @Home to their
own service, though.  I called Cox, and they said they had to
"provision" my cable modem (which simply involved me reading them my
modem's MAC address and Serial Number).  After that, they had me power
the modem off for about 30 minutes, and then power it back on.  Once I
did that, my OpenBSD machine was able to get an IP address from DHCP.
Also, when I set my boss' machine up, the computer that had been
connected to his cable modem before had Windows 2000 installed on it.
When we first connected the Linux machine to his cable modem, it
wouldn't get an IP address from DHCP.  I powered off his cable modem for
a while and then back on.  After this, the Linux machine got an IP
address.  We didn't have to call them up to "provision" his cable modem,
so the modem re-cycle seems to be the magic step.  The tech I spoke with
couldn't explain why that works, but it seems to, for whatever reason.

Hope that helps.

~Jeff