'unknown host' error after install of Ximian

Michael J. Schweppe plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 13:55:23 -0700

Hi All:

Yesterday I set up a beta version of Red Hat 7.3.  The box sits behind
my Netgear cable/dsl router.  The set up went well and I successfully
configured the NIC and was able to establish connectivity.  Two years
ago when I was running Linux [yes, I left the Promised Land to return to
the onions and leeks of Egypt] I had the Ximian Desktop.  I decided to
install Ximian again; after the reboot though I got the unknown host
error.  I've poured over several sites and archives and can't figure out
what is wrong.

This is what I have:

/etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 68.2.16.30
nameserver 68.1.208.30
search 68.2.16.30 68.1.208.30
domain ph.cox.net

/etc/hosts
192.168.0.4 redbox
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain
localhost

/etc/host.conf
order hosts,bind

eth0
192.168.0.4
255.255.255.0
Gateway 68.2.35.219

I can ping the Red Hat NIC and the XP box 192.168.0.1.

In all the examples I've seen this appears to be correct, but obviously
something is amiss; suggestions as what to do next?

Thanks,

Mike