Debian Questions

Scott Henderson plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:39:34 -0400 (EDT)

>> Removing S99gdm is more of a hack.  The proper way to control this is to edit
>> '/etc/inittab' and change the line reading "id:5:initdefault:" to
>> "id:3:initdefault:" (where the 5 and 3 indicate the run levels.
>
>This works great on my Mandrake boxes, but runlevels
>2 through 5 all include S99gdm on this Debian box.
>Currently, the default runlevel is 2.

Bob - USE your run levels.  Decide what you want to run, and set
up a run level so it loads the programs you want.  Obviously,
you'll leave 1,2, and 6 as is, but you can set up 3-5 how you
want.  Choose one for X, one that doesn't load it, etc. You could
use 5 for X if you want, since this is common for most distros,
as far as I've seen.

Scott