Debian Questions

Robert Bushman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 16:23:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 28 Jul 2002, Voltage Spike wrote:

> On Sunday 28 July 2002 11:18 am, Robert Bushman wrote:
> > No Autorun X / Exit to CLI
> > Currently, X starts immediately when I boot the
> > machine. If I remove S99gdm from the default
> > runlevel, it doens't. This is good, I don't
> > want X to run automatically.
>
> Removing S99gdm is more of a hack.  The proper way to control this is to edit
> '/etc/inittab' and change the line reading "id:5:initdefault:" to
> "id:3:initdefault:" (where the 5 and 3 indicate the run levels.

This works great on my Mandrake boxes, but runlevels
2 through 5 all include S99gdm on this Debian box.
Currently, the default runlevel is 2.

> I had this same problem with my laptop's Trident video card.  I fixed the
> problem by changing from the standard CLI to the vesafb interface.
> Unfortunately, I don't have the instructions for that.  However, if you
> search for "Linux framebuffer" it might point towards a good resource.

Thanks for the pointer!

> This is a function of xmodmap (in XFree86, I don't know of the console
> equivalent).  However, this will result in a system-wide change.  Since
> emacs' default meta key is the alt key, then I am guessing that you don't
> want this.
>
> Check your '~/.emacs' (if you have one).  If you don't see any unusual options
> in there, then I can investigate further.  Good luck!

I haven't created my .emacs yet.

IIRC, up until roughly Red Hat 6, the escape key
behaving as the only meta key was the norm, and is
still the case, apparently, in Debian. I think this
is related to 8 bit character coding.

I'm guessing it is in fact a system wide change
that Red Hat ~6 and higher implements in the default
install. I'm pretty sure emacs is just a symptom,
except that gnome-term is currently handling both
escape and both alt keys for, EG, M-<backspace>