Linux consultants

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 27 Jul 2002 09:20:35 -0400

Hi Miles,

Welcome to Linux and the list!

Where do you want to go?  Do you want someone to fix your Linux issues,
or do you want to learn how to fix them yourself?  What is your
objective?

I am revamping my entire Linux site to include a checklist for securing
a Linux box.  It also has an awesome firewall script.  You should be
able to do it yourself in a weekend.  Or you can pay and learn much less
. . .

The problem that I see with paying is that if it breaks, you won't know
how to fix it.  Also, it may be broken, and you won't realize it.  Many
people who are used to mainstream PC's (AKA Windows) are used to quirky
behavior, and are willing to dismiss it.  Unix/Linux is not quirky - it
is very consistent.  Know it, live it.

Anyway, I will post a note asking for reviews of my Linux site.  It is
still usable, and if you want an overview of what it takes to secure a
Linux box, head on over to http://georgetoft.com/linux and read the
presentations and the security stuff.

Regards,

George