List Delay Idea

Brian Cluff plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
26 Jul 2002 17:26:56 -0700

Looks like you missed my message that I posted eariler about the speed
of the list.
In a nut shell, what happened was that someone posted a large attachment
to the list.  Of course it got caught in moderation since nothing over
40k can get though without it, but it DID get released to the list and
that gummed up the works for a couple of hours while it was sent to
everone on the list.
Just after that happened someone noticed their message taking a long
time to get to the list (suprise suprise) and complained about it.  That
started a chain reaction of people checking how fast the list was going
that was compounded by the fact that the list machine's clock was over
an hour off (not being synced via ntp) so people's comparison times were
way off, on time or not.
Anyway, you will notice that 99% of the time the list will get a message
to your mailbox within 5-15 min of sending it.  The other 1% of the
time, someone probably snuck an attachment by the system and gummed up
the works, or there are general bandwidth problems... etc...etc...

The speed of the list is NOT generally slow.

Brian Cluff