Help! Boot problem in RedHat

Scott plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 21:44:30 -0700 (MST)

Try booting to run level 1.  Run level 1 will only start the stuff you
absolutely need to "recover" the system.  To get to run level 1
if using Lilo:

At the Lilo prompt, type: linux 1 <hit cr>
You should eventually end up at a # prompt

If using grub:

on the line that says: kernel /boot..., put a 1 at the very end of that
line all by itself and then hit 'b' to boot.  Like lilo, you should
eventually end up at a # prompt.

Once there, type: df and check all your mount points (I am assuming you
have more than just / ).  Based on your description, sounds like your
/home or /tmp is full (again, assuming these are actual mount points and
not directories).  Delete some unneeded files from these mount points (or
directories) and do a df again - see if you have dropped below 100% usage.
If not, repeat until you do.  Once you are below 100%, you should be good
to go.  Of course you could delete more unneeded files, but thats up to
you at that point.

scott