Help! Boot problem in RedHat

Thu, 25 Jul 2002 21:28:39 -0700 (MST)

Am 25. Jul, 2002 schwätzte Michelle Lowman so:

> I made it home from the expo and started my machine up, and everything was
> fine for a while. Then I couldn't get my email because it said the disk was
> full. I deleted some big files from my home directory (tiffs and eps files
> that I didn't really need), emptied trash, and ran df -h. It still said I
> was using 100% of my disk space.  So, being the recovering Windows junkie
> that I am, I tried to reboot.  Big mistake.
>
> Now it starts OK, goes through all the init stuff (in runlevel 5), gets to
> the point where kdm should start up (it doesn't), and restarts in runlevel
> 3. It doesn't get much past that; it locks up when starting webmin.

Start in runlevel one.

At the lilo prompt:

Linux 1

or

Linux init=/bin/bash

( if you use the latter, you will have to remount / as r/w. 'mount -o
remount,rw /' )

This is presuming 'Linux' is the name you gave your boot config.

Once it's booted, look to make sure you have space. If not, continue
cleaning.

Don't forget to check /var. A slow, but sure way to check sutff is to cd to
/, then do 'df -k *', then cd to a large directory and do the df again.
Recurse and look for large files :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  Use PLUG form to get into the Phoenix IT Business Expo Thu and Fri.