We need a show system

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 16:41:34 -0700

We need to put together a 3 or 4 workstation demo LTSP setup that we can
have at shows and conferences like this.  Some boot KDE.  Some boot
GNOME.  Each slightly customized (wallpaper, whatever) but all running from
the server.  All running OpenOffice, etc.

In my efforts at Linux promotion, I am finding that management and IT
people are VERY interested in the LTSP setup.  I am starting to think that
this is the "killer application" for getting Linux into businesses.

They like the idea of:
- Using older computers for terminals instead of throwing them away and
having to spend money on new ones.
- Central control of what software is running.
- Single point update to bring all the users up-to-date.
- Complete user access control (ie. no accessable workstation floppy or
CD-ROM).
- Central internet access control.
- VERY little virus worries.

Even MS loving managers perk up when you start to talk about this capability.

"Now that you have played with this workstation, Mr. Manager, and found
it's performance at least acceptable, notice as I take the cover off that
it has no hard drive, and it is a 200MHz PC just like the ones you have
sitting un-used in your back room..."

I tell you, that will get attention!

Alan