West Side Meeting Recap

Robert Bushman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 21:17:44 -0400 (EDT)

The West Side meeting was a lot of fun, and we all got a free car wash in
the deal. I was doubly blessed - left my windows open and got the interior
done as well :)

But I wasn't satisfied with my own car, I also treated Lee Einer to an
involuntary opportunity to learn about catastrophic lilo failure. Glad to
hear the machine is back among the living Lee! Safe to say I will be
focusing on things other than multi-boot installation support at the
upcoming install fest, haha.

We spent about 45 minutes discussing the upcoming install fest, which I
will recap in a separate email momentarily.

During the more conversational part of the meeting, some of the things we
touched on were:

Palladium
- Disney and MS might like it, but there's not much in it to help the end
user.

VoiceMail on Linux
- Check out VOCP: http://vocp.sourceforge.net/index.html

Mandrake 9.0 beta
- Compiled with gcc 3.1, which means some compatibility issues.
- No actual experiences yet, but typically when Open Sourcers say beta,
they mean it. Try it on a non-mission critical box first.

Mozilla 1.1 beta
- Again, beta means beta - try it, have fun, keep a copy of 1.0 around
just in case.

QuickBooks Migration
- GnuCash and (??? can't remember the other one) are good, but not up to
QuickBooks level yet.
- Try QuickBooks under Wine?

Keeping the Business Alive While Migrating
- Adopt a the strategy that you are comfortable with, and that fits
your situation - there's no one-size-fits-all solution.
- XFree86/CygWin, VNC, Wine, Multiple Machines, Multi-Boot
- Ask PLUG-discuss! We are here to help you.

WikiWiki
- Wikis are a fascinating attempt to do collaborative mind modelling.
- Try MoinMoin - it's written in Python and easy to install.
- WikiWiki is Hawaiian for "quick quick."
- MoinMoin is German for, "my name is der.hans."

Python versus Perl
- Used for similar things
- Both very useful languages
- Objects in Python are much more rewarding than in Perl

I think that's the bulk of it, other than the IF02.2 update, which
will be along directly.

 "We need commonsense judges who understand that our rights were
 derived from God. Those are the kind of judges I intend to put on
 the bench." President George W. Bush, 27 June 2002
 http://www.nando.net/politics/story/453192p-3627921c.html

 "no religious Test shall ever be required" Constitution Article 6
 http://www.law.emory.edu/FEDERAL/usconst/art-6.html