Unix Permissions

Wed, 24 Jul 2002 02:49:22 -0700 (MST)

Am 24. Jul, 2002 schwätzte foodog so:

> Is there a Linux version of VMS-style access control lists (ACLs)?  If
> so, it's no problem.  (and if those exist, I'd really appreciate a
> pointer to 'em :-)

$ apt-cache search access | grep control
libapache-authznetldap-perl - LDAP access control for Apache+mod_perl
squidguard - filter, redirector and access controller plug for Squid
acl - Access control list utilities
acl-dev - Access control list static libraries and headers
enigma - A game where you control a marble with the mouse
gsm-utils - Application to access and control a GSM mobile phone.
idsaguardgtk - Interactive access control with GTK GUI for IDS/A
libacl1 - Access control list shared library
webmin-wuftpd - wu-ftpd control module for webmin
$ apt-cache show libacl1
Package: libacl1
Section: utils
Installed-Size: 48
Maintainer: Nathan Scott <nathans@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Source: acl
Version: 2.0.15-1
Depends: libattr1, libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4)
Conflicts: acl (<< 2.0.0)
Filename: pool/main/a/acl/libacl1_2.0.15-1_i386.deb
Size: 11012
MD5sum: fdb8b5ac04d5f8a8e288cd354d976784
 This package contains the libacl.so dynamic library containing
 the POSIX 1003.1e draft standard 17 functions for manipulating
 access control lists.

ACLs are addons to *NIX. At least a couple of commercial *NIXen support them
( AIX, Solaris, HP/UX? ). Last I played with any they weren't compatable.

Using AFS on top of everything makes it all compatable, though. Presumably
the same for veritas filesystem stuff.

Seeing a reference for a POSIX standard gives me hope that we might someday
have a ubiquitous, standard ACL implementation. I wish we had it years ago.

> <grasping for a technicality>
> I'm told that long ago Netware branched off from a *nix distribution.
> It's deeply in the "no-brainer" category with NW3 and up.

Netware is based on System V to some extent, or so I'm told. In fact, rumor
has it that that's the reason Novell hasn't gone Open Source. Supposedly the
copyrights have finally run out ( or will soon ) and Novell wants to go Open
Source. They might even want to go Free Software.

I haven't heard anything beyond the initial rumor that was published in one
of their Novell news typeos of publications a couple of months ago.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  It's up to the reader to make the book interesting.