Temporary host with usermode linux + spare IP?

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 23:06:48 -0700

I'm going to be moving at the end of August (hopefully!) and there may be a
week or so where I don't have my normal 24x7 'net connection.  I've been
hosting all of my granroth.org mail and web on my home computer so far so
losing this connection for more than a few hours could be problematic.

Now the way that I've implemented my server is using User Mode Linux with a
filesystem-in-a-file.  I then have my firewall direct all of the traffic
for certain ports to that instance.  The advantage of doing it this way is
that if I need to take the host computer down for maintainance (or
whatever) all I need to do is shut down the usermode one, copy the file
over to another computer and restart.  The total downtime is only as long
as it takes to copy 1G over my local network (not long).

This also makes it very easy to migrate my settings to a temporary host
during my 'net downtime.. if I can find somebody that'll host it for me.

I need the following:

1. One static (or rarely changing dynamic) IP address that I can point
granroth.org to
2. Open ports 22, 25, 80, and 993
3. User-mode linux installed
4. About 1.25G hard-drive space

Anybody know of any hosting companies that can accomodate this?  If not,
anybody have a spare IP address and the space to borrow for a few weeks?
--
Kurt Granroth - "KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop"
KDE Developer/Evangelist | granroth@kde.org