IF2 Topic: Free Software Licenses

Robert Bushman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 07:27:13 -0400 (EDT)

I just read *another* person who ought to know better
referring to how the GPL "destroys intellectual
property." Can someone please work up a presentation
for IF2 on the different types of Free Software
licenses?

I mean, it's so frustrating. Don't like the GPL?
Fine. Ignore it. Just fall back to plain old copyright.
You can use the software exactly as you got it. That
is completely within the bounds of the GPL.

Want to modify it? Want to give it to someone else?
Hmmm, well, OK, but only if you agree to some
conditions. I'm not forcing you to go beyond
traditional copyright, but if you want to, here's
what you have to agree to.

 "We need commonsense judges who understand that our rights were
 derived from God. Those are the kind of judges I intend to put on
 the bench." President George W. Bush, 27 June 2002
 http://www.nando.net/politics/story/453192p-3627921c.html

 "no religious Test shall ever be required" Constitution Article 6
 http://www.law.emory.edu/FEDERAL/usconst/art-6.html