GCC Next Step - Help Please

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 01:46:37 -0500 (CDT)

> Calling them "greedy" and out to "get rich" is unfair when you clearly have
> never actually met any of the Xandros people.  From Ming on down, they have
> their heads screwed on right.

Let me clarify my gripe is with LGP not Xandros, BUT anyone who associates
with LGP gets what they deserve.

> LGP is.. well.. I honestly don't know.  You may have noticed I said that "I
> worked" for Xandros, not "I work".  That's because LGP didn't quite have
> the money that they said they would have on payday and I ended up working
> my last month for free (still hoping to get paid for that, though).

Then they are following suit and treating Xandros just like GNUMatic and
Metrolink.  (both firms that were good folks, but their companies tainted
by LGP)

> LGP is a venture capital outfit pure and simple.  They are out to make the
> big bucks and think they can do it with Linux.  They just don't seem to be
> all that good at it.  It does bother me that they like promising money
> quite bit yet fail to deliver at the last minute.

This was my reference to GREEDY and EVIL.  The minute Xandros took money
from them they became slaves to them pure and simple.  At leaset all other
LGP deals included them owning upwards of 35% of the company and pretty
much full control of the checkbook.

> I think the Xandros people see LGP as a necessary evil.  To get a killer
> product out the door, you *need* a lot of people and that takes money.
> Even spending it on the "right things" (all engineers and QA people plus
> ONE marketing person) tends to burn through money at a high rate.

I wont go down thsi argument.  We can agree to agree on some level and
disagree on another.

> Hmm.. that was a lot more rambling than I intended (too tired).  Short
> summary: think what you will of LGP but don't blame Xandros for their
> parent's sins.

I disagree.  They chose to partner with LGP, no one forced them.  There
are repuputable VC firms out there.  Again I am not against Xandros
product or the employees, but management aligned themselves with teh
scourge of the Linux investment community and they will suffer for it.

Hopefully they can cut loose in which case I would put more faith in
recommending them to folks.

-Derek