GCC Next Step - Help Please

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 15:06:09 -0500 (CDT)

> The point, for me, wasn't to go to debian, but rather to test the upgrade to
> Xandros from the dist Xandros is built on.

I dont know why you advocate Xandros over Debian.  They are no better than
other greedy get rich Linux investments.

They are run by Linux Global Partners.  A little history would show you
that LGP has screwed many a folk in the Free Software Community.  They
were the first round funding for Ximian\Helixcode  who got fed up and left
for
Battery Ventures to buy LGP out.  They succeeded in SQUISHING the living
hell out of GNUmatic (the company that did GNUCash).  I believe they did
some damage and had lawsuits from a either Codeweavers and/or a company
that did custom X servers (metrolink).

Further research shows it was metrolink:

http://slashdot.org/articles/01/04/29/2035203.shtml is the metrolink deal,

GNUCash didnt fight them publicly but got much the same treatment.

Though in those comments Bruce Perens of OSI fame mentions and validates
they were broke and screwing all their portfolios (except those doing
windows work)
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=11945&cid=257600

I dont see how its good to support companies built on venture capital from
firms that have brought destruction to our community in the past.

Especially when there are what appears to be upstanding companies that are
offering similar products.  Specifically Red Hat and Mandrake (while i
dont care for them, are certainly viable) are much more deserving I think
of getting money. :)

Minor rant. Take with grain of salt.

 -Derek
P.S. Dont get me wrong I would love to see either the Debian project or
some company (similar to Progeny) provide something like what Xandros is
doing, only backed by someone with integrity. ;)