Questions about old hardware

Steven Martindale plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 19:18:37 -0700

I recently was able to obtain two old computers and was wondering about a
few things.

First is an old Dell Optiplex 560/L. It was stripped down before I got it,
and that's created a bind for me as it's a socket 4 system. It seems there
were all for five or six CPU's made that fit in a socket 4, and it doesn't
look like they're easy to find even on EBay. Does anyone know of a source
for a Pentium 1 60 or 66Mhz or one of the other handful of socket 4
processors? Worth trying to get this running? Or would anyone be interested
in making a hardware trade? Fair warning, this box has no cpu, no memory,
not even a floppy drive. It does however have a motherboard, a power
supply, and a case -- I haven't tried plugging it in yet so I don't know if
the power supply works.

The other box is a Compaq Prolinea 4/33. I was quite lucky and it's mostly
unstripped, just needs a hard drive and a network card (It even still had
memory in it). As soon as I get some free space on my desk I plan on
booting it up with a memcheck86 disk and letting that run overnight as a
simple stability test. What I'm wondering is if anyone here is running IP
Cop or Smoothwall on a 486, as that is what I'd like to do with this box.

Steven,