Question for BSD'ers

Tom Jones plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 22:35:28 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 21 Jul 2002, Adrian Mink wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I know this is a linux list, but I know there are some BSD folks here and hope I could get a question answerd. I've been thinking of playing with BSD for a while and just put together a new box for it. I was hoping someone could explain the differences between FreeBSD and OpenBSD. Are they signifigant? Meant for a different audience? Thanks for any help!
>
> Adrian

I'm sure you'll get more thoughtful answers later on, but the quick and
dirty is that FreeBSD is intended to be the best *NIX for the x86, while
OpenBSD is intended to be the most secure.  Obviously OpenBSD is intended
for those who worry about security foremost, FreeBSD concentrates on
usability.  Both are considered excellent operating systems.

TJ