Max File Size

KevinO plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 00:15:58 -0700

With a 2.4 series kernel and modern filesystems you can go MUCH larger.

I have a tar file from a backup on an ext3 filesystem that is almost 30Gb in
size. (Mandrake 8.0)

The last two boxes we set up here, Mandrake 8.2, are using reiserfs and I have
  a number of files in the 5-10GB range.

Not all utilities will handle files bigger than 4Gb - yet. I use rsync (over
ssh) to move the really large files from box to box.

--
KevinO

Matz's Law:
         A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.