GCC Next Step - Help Please

Robert Bushman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 13:18:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 20 Jul 2002, Victor Odhner wrote:

> Robert Bushman wrote:
> > http://traxel.com/plug/gcc-proposal_MLedit.sxw
>
> Hey folks, can't we exchange documents in a more
> widely accepted format?

Than OpenOffice?
http://www.openoffice.org/

I suppose I should have mentioned the file type,
but it says it in the mime-type.

>  Plain text? HTML?

Insufficient format for a business proposal. I
suppose I could export it, but then I'd have to
reincorporate all the changes. I'd rather people
directly edit the print-ready version. Particularly
since we're on a deadline.

>  PDF?

Could you recommend a Free WYSIWIG editor for PDF
that is more common than OpenOffice, and has
binaries available for every major platform?
And my impression is that PDF isn't exactly Free.
It's heavily patent encumbered, and Adobe has
promised not to enforce most of the patents.

> I'm sure the package you're using is able to
> save documents in a non-exclusive format.

OpenOffice Writer format is Free.

> If you really want to re-invent the whole
> "cult exclusivity" thing, feel free.

As an aside, now that you mention it, I do plan
to start publishing things in OpenOffice format
with the intent of forcing people to install it,
but that was not the purpose in this case. And
I like to think of it more as a, "cult of
inclusivity" thing :) - since the editor and format
are Free, and the editor is available in binary
form for all the major platforms.

> But I'd
> expect that it would be profitable to include
> as many people in the discussion as possible.

We definately would like your input, and since
we are in a hurry (Steve is going on vacation
Thursday), I would rather keep the edits in
native form from now until Monday.

The editor is Free, available for all the major
platforms, and quite powerful.
http://www.openoffice.org/

> This is just the same old compatibility and
> integration drum that I've been beating elsewhere.

The editor and format are both Free. The editor
is available in binary form for all the major
platforms.

> Requiring Yet Another Special Plug-in seems kinda
> self-defeating to me

I'm entirely open to alternatives. Could you
recommend a Free WYSIWIG editor, that produces
printer-ready output of professional quality
(IE: not HTML), that is more common than
OpenOffice?

> especially if the subject
> is INTRODUCING people to Linux.

The subject of the document is making the business
case for an Install Fest to MCCCD - similar, but
not quite the same. We need to focus on how our
presence will make MCCCD more successful in its
mission.