SuSE annoyance 1

Trent Shipley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 22:57:11 -0700

I would like to add these variable to all shell environments all the time.

################
# Postgresql
################

PATH=/usr/local/pgsql/bin:$PATH
export PATH  # ?? do I need all these 'export's ?

MANPATH=/usr/local/pgsql/man:$MANPATH
export MANPATH

PGDATA=/usr/local/pgsql/data
export PGDATA

# END  Postgres section
######################

/etc/profile advises:

###################################
# /etc/profile for SuSE Linux
#
# PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE /etc/profile. There are chances that your changes
# will be lost during system upgrades. Instead use /etc/profile.local for
# your local settings, favourite global aliases, VISUAL and EDITOR
# variables, etc ...

Ahh!

Therefore I create /etc/profile.local and add the lines I want to it.
Then I reboot.

Then nothing happens.

Suspicion:

Either I need to find the script that reads and executes /etc/profile and have
it also execute /etc/profile.local OR have /etc/profile "execute"
/etc/profile.local.