tar problem

Bob Holtzman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 17:00:49 -0700 (MST)

Tried backing up a test file to tape on a fresh RH7.3 install. Running
tar cvf /dev/ht0 <filename> looked like it worked and running
tar xvf /dev/ht0 in another location of my choosing restored it
correctly in the new location. The problem is when I run
tar cvWf /dev/ht0 <filename> to verify a backup, I get:

tar: /dev/ht0: Cannot read: Input/output error
tar: /dev/ht0: Cannot read: Input/output error
tar: /dev/ht0: Cannot read: Input/output error
tar: /dev/ht0: Cannot read: Input/output error
tar: /dev/ht0: Cannot read: Input/output error
tar: /dev/ht0: Cannot read: Input/output error
tar: /dev/ht0: Cannot read: Input/output error
tar: /dev/ht0: Cannot read: Input/output error
tar: /dev/ht0: Cannot read: Input/output error
tar: /dev/ht0: Cannot read: Input/output error
tar: /dev/ht0: Cannot read: Input/output error
tar: /dev/ht0: Cannot read: Input/output error
tar: Too many errors, quitting

My questions are
1) is the W option broken or
2) am I missing something obvious?