OT: Consumer Advertising Law

Robert Bushman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 12:57:45 -0400 (EDT)

Saw this discussion recently somewhere
else. No lawyers involved, but the general
consensus was that a store has a responsibility
to engage in a good faith effort to publish
accurate prices.

The example that was used as being just barely
over the line was a web site that had published the
price as $400 dollars in the catalog, and also
had a banner on the front page saying, "$600
Dollar Savings!" on an item that was supposed
to be $1000.

Since the two separate items conveyed the same
information, only one was feasibly a typo
(the banner was created by a human designer,
the catalog price came from the database), it
was asserted that they had not engaged in a
good faith effort to publish accurately.

In your case, Fry's is allowed to make the
mistake, as long as they immediately correct it.