Interesting Article - Linux users going back to $M

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 22:39:52 -0700

Victor Odhner wrote:

> I wrote:
> > > Having the Windows desktop standardized by megalomaniacs
> > > has had its benefit:  Bill made the trains run on time.
>
> "John (EBo) David" replied:
> > no... they do not run on time, they just have an agreed
> > upon published schedule.  When they run of the rail and
> > crash, I would not call that "run[ning] on time."
>
> I haven't found Linux DESKTOP applications as stable as the
> standard M$ applications, though I do feel much better in
> an environment where I *CAN* revert to a sound and
> versatile command-line alternative.

I typically do mixed mode myself, and I will also agree that the
standard business apps are the probably the most lacking.

> > I am not paid for the work I do.  I just do it.
>
> EBo, I had no intention to insult anybody!

ummm...  I was not insulted... at least I do not remember being so...
my appologies if I gave the impression I was insulted.  Tired (from just
defending my theses) yes, insulted no.

> There is no
> need to "excuse" Free Software developers for not doing
> "better".  Of course Bill has an advantage.  Of course
> Linux is still deciding how to go, and it's a loose-knit
> group trying to converge on some sort of conventions.

It has been awhile since I wrote the original, but I seem to remember
respoinding to some comment about "why isn't the OSS/FS/GNU/LINUX
communities standardizing, interoperating..."

> But I'm saying ONE set of conventions is already established
> that needs to be accommodated, and at the SYSTEM level
> (in X, that is), not independently by different products.
> A set of options need to be implemented in X so that the
> users coming from Macs and Windows don't have to re-learn
> the basics to suit X's traditions.

There are some efforts along those lines, and I have no idea where they
are at this point.  Isn't there something for mapping key bindings and
at least attempting Mac/Win* look and feel?

hmmm...  ahhh here it is I think:  control center->key bindings-> key
scheme. there are sections for Mac, Windows (with adn without
Meta/win-key).

Also, some of the GUI tools such as wxWindows are building multiplatform
GUI tools that are configurable as you imply.

> I was responding to the article about Linux users going
> back to M$.  That author expressed the intention to come
> back when Linux was ready.  I expressed the intention to
> continue trying.

fair enough on both accounts.

> The point is, we must NOT excuse the Linux desktop for the
> fragmented and somewhat impenetrable face it presents to
> a new user who has been conditioned by a Mac/Windows
> background -- not if we are determined that Linux should
> become a really serious contender on the desktop.

There is a situation where I actually have advised such a person to move
to Linux -- for legal defensibility.  They have and use several legacy
machines and GOD himself would have to send out a searchparty for the
software license docs.  If they got poped by the BSA they would be
liable to produce them on demand.  So, to get them to the point where
they could handle a BSA audit they are looking to have to buy new
licenses, etc., which is not something they have budgeted.  So, Linux
for their small company is a long-term viable alternative *AS LONG AS*
suitable replacement software is obtainible.  That, and compatibility,
is the question we are at today.

> I wrote:
> > > I can't find Konqueror, where is it?
>
> EBo's reply:
> > Assuming that KDE is installed, try konqueror.
> > I know, the lower casedness got me the first time too.
>
> On the command line, I know about find -ni; but we were
> looking on the KDE menu.  I don't think it's there,
> and I'll swear I asked for it during the install.

hmmm...  I misunderstood.  I just checked on my machine and found it
under internet->Konqueror Web Browser.  If it is not then then I too am
confused.

> I am more at home on Linux than on Windows.  But it is
> hard for me to tell a desktop user how to use it, while
> it's easy for me to do that with Windows.

> Here's an exercise for you (one that was imposed on me
> this week):  help a Windows user step through some
> operations, such as installing a new program, without
> EVER asking them to type a shell command.  It was a
> sobering experience, and it reinforced the opinions
> I'm expressing here.

and here is an answer ->

  You need to upgrade your copy of XYZ.  First let's try to load a new
RPM.  Well an rpm is...

  So, using your browser go to rpmfind.net and search for XYZ.  Now
click on the binary copy XYZ-rev.noarch.rpm...

At this point I'll be the first one to admit that this does not always
work since you can run into serious dependency problems, however haven't
you ever loaded a M$ program which required DLL's which were not on the
system or overloaded older ones that were incompatible?

Anyway, as required -- find a way to install new software strictly from
GUI's in a point/click fassion.

> Note that my friend is a highly experienced systems
> engineer who is not in the slightest afraid of the
> command line, has a longstanding and healthy dislike
> for Microsoft, and is acutely aware of the need to
> support Free Software; but he was there to test the
> desktop, and the desktop fell flat on its face.

fair enough, but what spacific apps did he need?  Is there a
distribution suited for his needs?  ...

  EBo --